Website Developed By Director, Allahabad Museum on 21st June 2011
The Allahabad Museum is centrally located in the Civil Lines area of city in the lush green Chandrashekhar Azad Park popularly known as Company Bagh. It is about 3 kms from Allahabad railway junction and almost equidistant from Prayag and Rambagh Railway Stations and about 12 km from Bamrauli Airport.In 1863, the Board of Revenue requested the Government of North-Western Provinces for the establishment of a public library and a museum. With donations from the provincial government, the famous OrientalistSir William Muir and the Maharaja of Vijaynagaram, a superintendent of library and museum was appointed and an ornate building was inaugurated in 1878 to house the collection. For unforeseen reasons the museum closed down in 1881. The initiative to reopen the museum was taken by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the President of the Allahabad Municipal Board in 1923-24. Under the operational direction of Pandit Brij Mohan Vyas, the executive officer of the board, a museum was opened in the Municipal Building in 1931. Under the tutelage of Pandit Vyas, the museum acquired important collections, including ancient sculptures from Bharhut and Bhumra. In 1942, S.C. Kala the first curator gave the much needed impetus to enriching the collections of the museum, especially adding the Nehru Personalia Collection and the Bengal School Paintings. As space became a constraint, it was decided that the museum should be shifted from the Municipal Board building to new premises. The foundation stone of the present museum building was laid on 14th December 1947 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and the museum was opened to the public in 1954.
Gandhi Smriti Vahan